Friday, August 2, 2013

In the Hot Seat With HC: Author Loretta Laird




Joining me in the Hot Seat today is author,  Loretta Laird  



          
 Hi, my name is Loretta Laird and I am a romance-aholic! I love to get lost in a book though seldom get the opportunity being a busy mum. I enjoy cooking, mostly cakes as that’s what I love to eat. My ambition is to buy a cabin by a lake and sit and write all day, creating worlds and stories that are enjoyed by many.

Q:  Can you tell our readers a little about your writing? What genres do you enjoy writing?


 I love reading romance, particularly a steamy Highland fling and fantasy. I decided to combine my two passions with The Passers. I have since written a contemporary short Christmas story that has been offered a contract and Boos 2 and 3 of The Passers. The great thing is with a fantasy book is that ‘anything goes’. It is your world that you created so it can be whatever you imagine it to be.

Q:  Do you write on a schedule or when the Muse decides?

 I write now to relax and unwind after work. It has become a bit of a compulsion though and I find it hard to switch off if I haven’t had a chance to write down all my ideas. I work full time so evenings are my writing time. My children now groan when I pull out my laptop!

Q: Can you tell us about your writing process, for example, do you write an outline first?

 Yes and no. My first book was a ‘write it all down and then see’ effort. With my second I got all ideas down before I started organising them. When I read through, I add bits and even extra chapters. Mostly, I write and write until the story is out then breath and read.




Q:  What qualities do you instil in your heroes?

Independence, high libidos and a noble heart.

Q. Coffee or tea? 

Tea

Q. Beach or countryside?

 I love the sea but get quite bored sitting still. Walks in either setting.

Q. Do you write about the places you know or prefer to take your readers to exotic places?

Fantasy world then I can’t get my facts wrong!

Q: Where do you get your inspiration? Good question. I suppose from what I read and watch and observe, maybe a bit of personal experience too.


Q: Would you change anything in your life to make writing easier.

Yes, give up work and write all day in a secluded location where dust, washing and hungry children did not exist.

Q: We have all suffered submission rejections. How do you cope? Do you have any advice to other writers on coping with rejection?

I am more amazed when I get an acceptance! If someone doesn’t want my book then I move on. A bit of feedback would be nice though, to give us some pointers.



Q: What do you like to read and who are your favorite authors?

My favourite author has got to be J.R. Tolkien. Julie Garwood tells a ripping historical love story and Christopher Paolini is a talented writer of fantasy. I tend to read the synopsis of a book and choose it that way so I don’t always take account of the author. At the moment I am reading ‘Highland Lord’ by Tarah.



Q: Do you write one novel at a time or do you move between works in progress?

I started with just the one but now I am trying to write three at a time. Probably not good for me but I am not always in a fantasy mood.


Q: Do you have times when the Muse is away on holiday?

Only once, just after my book release. I think I thought, Right, that’s it! I have done it now, I can stop.

Q. What motivates you to write?

Hard one, I have become hooked and I can’t stop.

Q. What advice would you give to unpublished authors approaching an e publisher?

Go for it! Sex sells!

Q: Is there anything you would like to share with us about upcoming releases?

I have a book out in December called An Upside-down Christmas. It is about a family who moved to Australia from England. Carrie, the mum, can’t get used to the heat and just feels homesick for the gloomy winter festival. She gets a new lease of life with the gift of a notebook, starts to write and grows to love her new country and her old husband!

Q: Can you tell us a little about your current novel?


The Passers is a fantasy romance set in the mythical world of Fellnesia. It begins when an Air princess is rescued by a handsome Passer. The resulting child, of this union, is a young girl called Jadara. Her destiny is to defeat the evil Greenflack and reclaim her birthright. She is aided by a group of nomadic warriors known as the Passers. Their role in Fellnesia is to assist with the passing of souls at the time of death. This talent was gifted to them by the ancient freegan, a powerful mix of dragon and phoenix. The freegan are now in danger and reach out to Jadara to save them from their cruel enslavement. Can Jadara achieve her quest without falling prey to the evil will of Greenflack or the roguish charms of a young Passer named, Adamen?

Excerpt: Jadara’s sleep was all too soon disturbed by unpleasant dreams of the raven-haired Em. He was pacing around her grandmother’s house. In her slumber, Jadara heard the voice of Drew calling to her for help.
“I will return,” called Jadara. “I will come back for you.”
With a start, Jadara’s eyes flew open. She gasped as she saw the muscled form of Adamen leaning lazily on the frame of the bed chamber, regarding her with a satisfied gleam. He seemed larger than usual in the confined space of the tree dwelling and his manliness was hard to ignore.
“Troubled slumber, Princess?”
“I... I... dreamed about home.”
****
Her frank answer impressed him and her openness touched his heart. He did not deny that he had enjoyed the few minutes spent watching her. Concerned by her obvious distress, his instinct had been to scoop her up and comfort her in his protective arms. Alas, his thoughts then turned to carnal images of what he would do next. The lure of the bed next to her only encouraged his vivid fantasy. Adamen observed with amusement the change in Jadara’s breathing. He had had enough women interested in him to read the signs of arousal and knew from experience that he could just reach out and pull this beautiful she-mate into his practised embrace. The thought made him ache for her in his loins. His duty seemed to pale in significance as their two souls reached out to find each other.
****
Jadara squirmed under his scrutiny, aware of his smouldering eyes and taut body. She stood up, eager to avoid the vulnerability she felt looking up at him from the seat. Now there were two of them in the enclosed space and their bodies were just inches apart. Jadara allowed herself to imagine how Adamen’s arms would feel under the soft touch of her fingertips, how she could run her hands across his muscled chest. Her breathing became heavier as she let her mind wander to places lower on his body, imagining what she might find there.
Jadara stretched out a tentative hand and heard a low throaty growl from the warrior before her. Urged on by his passion, she touched the solid wall of his chest as a responding moan escaped her lips. Adamen lowered his head and his lips possessed hers. Fire leapt through her body and a heady glow filled her core. Her mouth responded instinctively to his and she moved her lips with a furnace of passion inciting her on. Adamen appeared delighted by her primeval ardour and began to lower his head to trace a trail of burning kisses down to her breast. His hand grasped her thigh and crushed her wanton body against the timber wall behind. Jadara dug her nails into his back, climbing up his solid frame and wrapping her legs tightly around his waist. If she could have climbed inside him she would gladly have done it. Adamen was not sure how long his resolve would last as he lifted his head to gaze down into the amber eyes, flecked with sparks of desire.




Author’s links: www.lorettalaird.com


 Thanks for stopping by today:-)
HC


3 comments:

  1. Great post Loretta. I think a lot of writers would agree with you that they don't have enough time in the day to do everything life asks of them. We look forward to your new releases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! You two have the same Cover Artist, btw, for "The Passers" and "Dear K". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Loretta. Lovely interview and interesting excerpt.

    ReplyDelete